As we all know, the end of the school year brings the beginning of the new band season. Due to the calendar, we have a lot of work ahead of us with very little time. Therefore, we need your help. I know that this will be a long email, but please read through to see if you can lend a hand!
1. NEW EQUIPMENT: As our end of the year gift, and thanks to all who helped by donating or fundraising, the boosters have voted to purchase ALL NEW MARCHING PERCUSSION to the program. The old equipment was broken, mismatched, and just plain worn out (As a point of reference, Central has replaced their equipment 3 times since we purchased our existing equipment). Our drumline will look and sound better than ever this year!
2. “MYSTERY” GIFT: There is another item that the boosters are providing. We can not yet reveal it, but it will certainly help the day to day workings of the program. In preparation for it, we do have a few questions for anyone who is or has access to a good electrician — Please let me know.
3. WE NEED HELP: Due to the renovations at WLW, we will be holding practices at Geisler this summer. Therefore, we need all hands on deck to help us move all equipment to Geisler on June 17. This includes all students and graduated seniors. Please, please, please let us know if you can help!
4. TRAILERS: We need 2 people to drive the trailers back and forth to Geisler the day of the move. This will free up Mr. D. to direct the move and make sure we are organized from the start. Given that our band camp is a few days later, and that our first performance is at Michigan Stadium in late August, having this move go in an organized and smooth manner will pay huge dividends through the summer!
5. COMMITTEE POSITIONS:
A. Thank you to Michael Barry for assuming the new position of Pep Band Liaison. His primary responsibilities will include helping to line up chaperones, lining up drivers as necessary, and assisting Mr. D. at the games. The students all love it when the band shows up at those away games — Thank you to Michael to helping assure that we do all we can to increase school spirit!
B. We need someone to lead our new Dad’s group. Primary responsibilities of the group will include lining up volunteers to assure that all pit equipment and Drum Major stands are on the field at performances, assuring that Mr. D. has adult help to set up and change over the stage during concert performances (chairs and stands), and helping out with all of the general fix-it and build-it needs that arise. Great way to interact with the students and see their performances from a whole new perspective. Sound interesting? Let me know.
C. We also need a person or people to act as helpers in the stands during home games. Responsibilities would include picking up water bottles and getting them to the stands as well as acting as an assistant to Mr. D. for any needs that arise during games (eg. equipment forgotten in school, etc…). Want to help out with it? Let me know!
6. UNIFORMS: With Miss Mary moving on (but staying in our hearts forever), Miyuki Dembinski and Brenda Kowalsky are stepping up to help with uniforms. They not only will be learning the job on the fly, but will be forced to do so under challenging conditions (at Geisler instead of in the uniform room). If you have even an hour or two to help them, please do so!
7. TREASURER: Thank you to Gary Dembinski for taking over the treasurer duties. All checks received will be posted and deposited sometime soon, and we will advise when he is ready to have items sent directly to him (delay has been my fault, not his!). Please show him the courtesy and patience that you have all shown me as he learns the ropes!
8. BAND CAMP: As always, Miss Edie can use help at camp. I can confirm that being able to go up there and help out allows you to really see and appreciate the hard work and progress that the students make. Please consider volunteering there!
Hope to see all students, grads, and parents on the 17th!